Sunday, March 6, 2016

Reflection x 3

Reflection on The Humans: 
While reading the Play Humans, I actually enjoyed it at first it. The play seemed to set up the characters well and allowed us to get to know each character through the dialogue. The family almost reminded me of my own, (with a bit of a cultural twist of course, since I’m Nigerian). My sister wants to do law, just like the older sister in the play and when one of us is caring, the other is mean. We kind of take turns depending on the situation but mostly, were good people just like the sisters in the play. My mom is extremely critical but she’s also very loving and caring. My step dad is the understanding one who doesn’t want to put his problems on others. So overall, I would say this play portrayed the average family dynamic, well the average  middle class American family. Though the family did not complain or drown in utter despair of their financial troubles, they did discuss them.
       While reading this play, as  I originally mentioned  I was drawn in by the relate able conversations, but soon started to see no point in the play. But honestly since I’ve been reading plays there never usually is a point to them. A lot of plays are arbitrary and ambiguous and yet are critically acclaimed. Maybe its because I'm not apart of that world. I tell myself maybe I just don’t have an eye for “art”. Maybe one is supposed to find the meaning of art and plays on their own, and there are no set findings or meanings.
     So though plays are not my forte, there are a couple of learning experiences I would employ in the classroom that I experienced while reading this play. One of them is read the beginning before you read the play. Shamefully, I scrolled past the first couple of pages and just immediately dived into the play. Longing to have further understanding, I scrolled to the top of the play and  I saw a poem discussing fear. Right away I realized there was an underlining theme of fear in the play. Everyone had either tried to avoid their fears or was outward and open with it. In my opinion, the play built up a lot, and instead of going further, the information, ended up staying in the perimeters of the discussions they were mentioned in. Erik, who I believe is having panic attack and flashes unfortunately, was the only one who saw  his fears play out in front of him. Overall, the theme I took away from the text was family and fear and how though the two can coincide, family cancels out fear. I didn’t find the text funny, I didn’t know it was supposed to be till I goggled it actually. I guess that would depend on the delivery of the lines by the actors. 

A play like this I probably wouldn’t use in my classroom, only because I myself do not know how to tackle it and wouldn’t feel adequately prepared.

Reflection on EF's visit to a small planet:
This was a very easy read. Its funny to me that in my first reflection I mentioned that I am not apart of a world where I understand plays, or rather sometimes I think plays are not meant to be understood just felt, or maybe as I mentioned earlier the meaning of plays lie  in your relation to the text. But reading this specific text on how to approach plays is a wonderful tool to use in the classroom for students who think like me. It is important to know the world in which the play takes place is not the world that we live in. If we read it as much, as readers we will not take away the depth of the play because our minds will not pass the possibility of the actuality of the events.
    Mood is also a key element in enjoying a play. And truthfully sometimes I forget plays are for enjoyment. While reading the play I automatically started looking for connections and foreshadowing and other literary devices and completely forgot that plays are a form of entertainment! Remembering plays are "small planets" puts a lot into perspective for students who are unfamiliar with the genre.

Revisiting chapters 1-5:
In chapter  I enjoy how Ms. Kittle laid out her vulnerable thoughts for us and then combated those thoughts. Being a teacher is about being transparent, often we believe as teachers we must be perfect and secretive and flawless for our students. However that is not the case, "we just need to be a little better than them". And I love how she mentions reading about writing is pointless if you do not practice your writing. Since the start of this semester I take ALL my writing assignments will joy, I see them as an opportunity to practice my writing and therefor improve my writing. Admittedly I can be pleased with producing mediocre work as long as it hits the requirements. But I only end up playing myself *Dj Khaled voice*. So I made a mini agreement with myself to write and practice more often. Chapters one through five gave much insight on Kittle's teaching style and pedagogy. Entailed in these chapters are strategies writing teachers can employ in the classrooms; free writes, writing journals and teaching how to rewrite and edit are all useful tips and tools to use in the classroom. I truly do appreciate Kittle backstage pass to her journey as a writing teacher. 

3 comments:

  1. I like how you said you related to the family. I felt the same way especially about the mom. Unlike you, I did not think visit to a small planet was an easy read. I still am not sure I understand it fully but reading your post helped a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel disconnected from art sometimes, and think that maybe I just don't have an eye for it either and it's ok that we're not part of that world. I think that's a very genuine part of your reflection, and now realize that maybe that had something to do with my hesitation in reading plays now and in high school. I found the conversations among the characters to be relatable as well. Your analysis of Fuchs' article was very helpful, thank you for including that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always interesting to me to see family portrayed in plays (or on tv or movies). I've never seen a family like mine (lots of divorce/ half-siblings/ etc) depicted in any mainstream kind of way. I felt that I was not a part of this family's world, but I could possibly change my mind after seeing it on the stage. I also think that humor is so hard to read, and hope that it comes out when we see it in action. I have a background in technical theatre- often times when I see a production I become distracted by lighting/ costumes/ props/ etc and find myself shutting out certain dialogue and not finding deeper meaning in something that is supposed to be deep. Your post reminded me that I need to look past this and pay attention. There has to be something that relates to me in there, even if I am not fully part of the play's world.

    ReplyDelete