Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Last post :(

                                                                      Not This 

 Feedback is one of my favorite areas of communication, right next to sweet talk and spoken word poetry.I love feedback, I'm always asking for it, "how do you think this went for me? Do you think I could have done better?" I think feedback is a major key for self development. A man once told me he did not realize how big and intimidating he appeared to others. Once he was told he was able to approach people in a more relaxed manner. I think feedback is a wonderful thing.As a future teacher it pains me to say  I do not recall getting feedback on my work until my junior and senior year of college. Up until that point my writing was constantly being evaluated but no one stopped and spoke to me on how to grow as a writer. Working in the public schools now, I get it! It is not easy. Teachers are required to teach students a certain formula, meaning freedom (as far as writing) is not encouraged. Students and teachers are also expected to reach certain standards. Working with 30 students at a time they all seem to want to be "correct". So after every sentence they come to me and ask "is this right Ms. A?" With 30 students trying to be correct and get a good grade asking you "is this right?" all at once, you can be shoved into an evaluating corner. For times sake, for standards stake, you say "yes that is right, no take that word out, who's next? No that sentence doesn't sound right." When it is 2 teachers in the room , it is a little easier to give more substantial feedback to more students.
      Also mentioned in Kittle's chapter is my students desire to be "correct"' and this need comes from the hidden circular of grading. The higher the grade the more acceptable and honorable the child feels as a student.  Even if the child is not reaching their full potential and they receive a high grade, they are satisfied. The same occurs vise versa, when a student can work really hard yet they do not receive high grades, they can feel like giving up.  During my undergrad by technical terms  I deserved a  certain grade but based on  the effort and hard work  I put into those classes I deserved an A. It was  then I realized how corrupt the grading system could be. Luckily I received the grades I deserved but not all teachers operate beyond the rubric given to them to follow. Which is why I believe a relationship with students is extremely for every aspect of education. The conference Kittle mentions allows for the teacher to get inside the students mind and possibly help him or her on a deeper level.
      I really like the idea of self evaluation, often times I don't think about how I piece my work together or how certain parts of my work reveal particular patterns about my writing style. I like the idea of doing a self evaluation piece before the final piece, maybe after the 2nd draft. I agree with Kittle that self evaluation promotes flexible and reflective thinkers. Assessment is a very personal aspect of the teacher/student relationship. It is unfortunate that instead of possible guidelines teachers are required and told how to asses students. But like Kittle, the power we do have can be exercised and if we can't change the world we can affect our classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment