Language of Power
In her article Deborah Dean points out a few positions that teachers knowingly or unknowingly take about the use of language in their classroom. The first stance declares that language can be right or wrong. Often teachers believe their job is to correct their students and correction as Deborah Dean explains is connected to this concept of right and wrong. The second way to view language is through the lens of grammar as oppose to content. This choice is made in a classroom when students are assigned papers and the only red marks on their paper pertain to their grammar usage as oppose to constructive feedback on how to make their writing more meaningful. I have dealt with teachers as colleagues and teachers as instructors that have been disciplinarians on either stances and from my opinion (and Ms.Dean's) it is important for teachers to shift from these ways of teaching language.
In her article Deborah Dean points out a few positions that teachers knowingly or unknowingly take about the use of language in their classroom. The first stance declares that language can be right or wrong. Often teachers believe their job is to correct their students and correction as Deborah Dean explains is connected to this concept of right and wrong. The second way to view language is through the lens of grammar as oppose to content. This choice is made in a classroom when students are assigned papers and the only red marks on their paper pertain to their grammar usage as oppose to constructive feedback on how to make their writing more meaningful. I have dealt with teachers as colleagues and teachers as instructors that have been disciplinarians on either stances and from my opinion (and Ms.Dean's) it is important for teachers to shift from these ways of teaching language.
I truly appreciate Deans referring to English (a core subject) as language. In English class students write papers, which involves language and students read literature which involve language. And so English class in those terms is really the study of language. I can identify with Deans multiple shifts of perspective for I have gone through many shifts myself. As I’ve
written in many assignments and even in my first blog post, academic writing terrified me.
In middle school during the grammar lessons I obediently complied. I did the worksheets,
I did the assignments and got 100% on every grammar quiz. But once each section
was over, the information just taught left brain.The grammar lessons I was receiving was not being conceptualized in to my everyday writing (and I was an avid writer). The writing on my own, stories,
poems and much more, I deemed separate from the grammar lessons. The two were never
taught together. And so even up until college I thought I was dumb, and I was never going to get this grammar thing right. I told myself " the only reason grammar is so hard for you to understand is because you are not smart".
Ms. Deans shifted her perspective on writing to more of a contextualized base approach as oppose to grammar and even tried to mix both. It was only until last semester with Professor Mayher that I realized that the two could come together and I did not have to buy a grammar text book to make it happen. He explained that writing was like a song. When students read their work there was a rhythm intertwined with the way the words were said. Grammar was the melody that held the song together. Without knowing or realizing it the students are editing their work and fixing their grammatical errors! With the right model text, students could sing the song of their works and see where and how it falls in line with the Beyonces' of literature. Hearing this eased my mind. I had been writing all my life and yet would freeze when the idea of grammar entered the picture. Ms.Deans wants to remind teachers “grammar is not a singular construct. Language is
like the rest of life: choosing the best options available in our particular
situation". Grammar is not grammar with out language and language is meant to be understood not dissected and beat over students heads.
Ms. Deans shifted her perspective on writing to more of a contextualized base approach as oppose to grammar and even tried to mix both. It was only until last semester with Professor Mayher that I realized that the two could come together and I did not have to buy a grammar text book to make it happen. He explained that writing was like a song. When students read their work there was a rhythm intertwined with the way the words were said. Grammar was the melody that held the song together. Without knowing or realizing it the students are editing their work and fixing their grammatical errors! With the right model text, students could sing the song of their works and see where and how it falls in line with the Beyonces' of literature. Hearing this eased my mind. I had been writing all my life and yet would freeze when the idea of grammar entered the picture. Ms.Deans wants to remind teachers
After reading the article I appreciated the information being
offered but realized the article was referring to "language" but really meant to say "the
language of power". Language is a broad term. In America we have students speaking one, two, three or more languages at home and then being forced to speak another in school. Not only are they being forced to learn this language 1. their home language is not being appreciated or taken into account and 2. they are not explaining WHY they are being forced to learn this language. Academic language or Standard English is not the only way to communicate, yet it is the desired way of communication in many institutions. It is important we let our students in on this little secret. Other wise English class or "Language" class becomes a way to tell our students their home language is inferior and less valuable than standard English. Teachers are outwardly implying "when you write like this and I mark it with an X, that means the way you speak is wrong and the way I speak is correct. Correct means superior and incorrect implies inferiority." Academic language is important for lawyers, teachers and other white collared jobs, but what of those students who want to dance or build houses like their fathers? Why make them feel inferior because of language? I say all of that to say this: it is vital and key to explain to students why we are teaching them "language" or else there will always be a disconnect between what we are teaching them and what they are taking away from it.

I think a lot of times teachers forget the importance of language and get caught up in "getting through" the content. How can we be sure if they understood the content if we don't help them to academically use the English language to express it?
ReplyDeleteAs an ENL teacher, it is important to show the students that they are learning academic English to be successful in school, but there are situations where less formal English or a student's native language is appropriate. Many times, students expect us teachers to show them "what is right". That is not a responsibility to be taken lightly, or to be taken advantage of. Yes, I want my students to be academically successful, but I also want them to realize that I am a human, they are human, and we don't always need to be "right" in order to communicate. I agree with you about the "language of power". So many of my students don't feel that they can participate in mainstream classes; either because of their accents or because they aren't saying things "right". It is my job, from the beginning, to help empower them to stand behind their verbal expression of their thoughts and help them to express them on paper.
You have an amazing perspective on Dean's article, it's truly amazing. Language is very important but sometimes it's not just the teacher making a student not use their home language. Sometimes, there are parents who want their children to learn English to fit in here. Other times, the administration requires students to be fluent in English and ignore their home language. It's not fair to the students and it really takes away from their identity.
ReplyDeleteYou did a unique job of relating to Dean through your coursework this semester which has allowed me to reread Deans article through a different lens. I also liked your summative assessment when you state,Academic language is important for lawyers, teachers and other white collared jobs, but what of those students who want to dance or build houses like their fathers? Why make them feel inferior because of language? I say all of that to say this: it is vital and key to explain to students why we are teaching them "language" or else there will always be a disconnect between what we are teaching them and what they are taking away from it.
ReplyDelete